10 Tips for Savvy Packing
You might be touring Asia, relaxing on the French riviera or roughing it under the stars. Wherever wanderlust takes you this summer, savvy packing is essential. Do you really need that extra blouse? Will you really wear red lipstick on that camping trip? (well, maybe some of you will!) We've got 10 tips for savvy packing -- the more room, the more souvenirs.
1. Roll your clothes in luggage to maximize space. But beware: this method doesn't necessarily ensure less weight when your baggage goes through the flight check-in.
2. Bring white. Blouses, tee-shirts, scarves. It goes with anything.
3. Be practical with footwear. Comfortable sneakers or flats are a must and one pair of stylish shoes is all you need depending on the location and length of your trip.
4. Don't pack your entire vanity! True travelers adhere to a "less is more" policy. Choose the three or four items you wear the most. We recommend the usual -- like mascara and foundation, but also dual products. SPC's COLORDUO double-sided lip pencil gives you both a deep red and everyday pink. And COLOREYEDEFINE in 'Platinum Liner/Gold Shadow' or 'Bronze Liner/Copper Shadow' will make you reconsider packing all those extra eyeshadows.
5. Keep your toiletries to a minimum and buy minis. You won't regret this. You can find anything from portable hairdryers to petite shampoos and they even make mini hair straighteners these days, just in case you were wondering.
6. Traveling by backpack? Plan your outfits beforehand and mix and match about six plus pieces or whatever you can squeeze in. If you know your headed for a holiday in the sun, pack according to your itinerary. Two sundresses for beach days, comfortable and casual for a day of sightseeing, etc.
7. Buy items when you get there. A mistake we often make is thinking we're spending the next six months in another universe; be realistic and suss out what items you can buy when you get there.
8. Make your luggage stand out. Whether it's a bright tag or colorful string, attach it to your bags to avoid waiting for the luggage belt to loop around again.
9. Make a packing list of all your items. Triple check it.
10. Don't forget hand sanitizer, tissue (or wipes), and face moisturizer. Because no matter where you go, you're going to need them.